- 102 Downloads
The terms preservation and conservation are often confused and are used to mean the same thing. However, differences exist. Preservation aims to maintain as such the areas of the Earth what are so far untouched by humans. Environmental preservation is often regarded as a deeper form of environmentalism or ecocentrism (Enviropedia 2018). Conservation, on the other hand, means careful protection of something. Its goal is a planned management of natural resources, e.g., water and wildlife, flora and fauna to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect (Dictionary Merriam-Webster 2018). The term is gradually extended to cover human rights, industrial, and commercial context of environmental concerns (Dictionary 2018). Conservationists are persons who accept that change and progression are necessary for a better future, but only when the changes take place in ways that are not wasteful (Enviropedia 2018). They argue...
- Altieri, M. A., & Merrick, L. C. (1987). In situ conservation of crop genetic resources through maintenance of traditional farming systems. Economic Botany, 41(1), 86–96. . Accessed 19 Nov 2018.
- Business Dictionary. (2018). What is environmental law? Definition and meaning. . Accessed 2018.
- Conservation Economics Institute. (2018). Conservation economics. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Convention on Biological Diversity. (2018). What the convention says about traditional knowledge, innovations and practices. . Accessed 19 Nov 2018.
- Dictionary. (2018). . Accessed 18 Nov 2018.
- Dictionary Merriam-Webster. (2018). . Accessed 17 Nov 2018.
- Dower, N. (1992). Sustainability and the right to development. In R. Attfield & B. Wilkins (Eds.), International justice and the third world (pp. 93–116). London: Routledge.
- Dudley, N. (Ed.) (2008). Guidelines for applying protected area management categories. Gland: IUCN, x + 86 pp. With Stolton, S., Shadie, P., & Dudley, N. (2013). IUCN WCPA best practice guidance on recognising protected areas and assigning management categories and governance types (Best practice protected area guidelines series No. 21). Gland: IUCN. Xx pp. ISBN: 978-2-8317-1636-7. . Accessed 19 Nov 2018.
- Egger, K. (1981). Ecofarming in the tropics, characteristics and potentialities. Plant Research and Development, 13, 96–106.
- Environmental Science. (2008). Conservation: History and future of conservationism. . Accessed 30 Dec 2018.
- Enviropedia. (2018). Conservation & preservation. Sustainable environment, earth. . Accessed 16 Nov 2018.
- Frankham, R., Ballou, J. D., & Briscoe, D. A. (2002). Introduction to conservation genetics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fulton, G. (2006/2015). Heritage conservation. In The Canadian encyclopedia. . Accessed 2018.
- Griffin, J. M., & Steele, H. B. (1986). Energy economics and policy. Orlando: Academic.
- Hay-Edie, T., & Bulus, B. (2013). Biodiversity conservation & sustainable development. The need to maintain natural resources for future generations. In The youth guide to biodiversity, (pp. 128–143). FAO, Youth and United Nations Global Alliance. . Accessed 18 Nov 2018.
- Huwyler, F., Käppeli, J., Serafimova, K., Swanson, E., & Tobin, J. (2014). Conservation finance: Moving beyond donor funding toward an investor-driven approach. Zurich: Credit Suisse.
- ICOM (International Council of Museums) (2008). Terminology for conservation – ICOM-CC. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources), UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme), WWF (World Wildlife Fund), FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), & UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). (1980). World conservation strategy, living resource conservation for sustainable development. . Accessed 18 Nov 2018.
- Kennedy, J. (2018). What is ocean conservation? . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Lexicon of Food (2017). Definition of habitat conservation. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Makokha, K. (2013) The ethical foundations of environmental conservation and sustainable development. Thought and Practice: A Journal of the Philosophical Association of Kenya (PAK), New Series, 5(2), 1–17. ISSN: 2076–7714. . Accessed 18 Nov 2018.
- Manley, P. N., & Hayes, D. C. (2006). Biodiversity conservation, sustainable development, and the U.S. man and the biosphere program: Past contributions and future directions. In C. Aguirre-Bravo, P. J. Pellicane, D. P. Burns, & S. Draggan (Eds.), Monitoring science and technology symposium: Unifying knowledge for sustainability in the western hemisphere (USDA Forest Service proceedings RMRS-P-42CD) (pp. 663–670). Fort Collins: Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. . Accessed 18 Nov 2018.
- Medwet (The Mediterranian Wetlands Initiave). (2018). The Ramsar Convention – Medwet. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- OECD. (2003a). OECD glossary of statistical terms – Soil conservation Definition. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- OECD. (2003b). OECD glossary of statistical terms – Water conservation definition. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Rowland, W. (1973). The plot to save the world: The life and times of the Stockholm conference on the human environment. Toronto: Clarke, Irwin & Co.
- Schelhas, J., & Lassoie, J. P. (2001). Learning conservation and sustainable development: An interdisciplinary approach. Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 30, 111–119. . Accepted 18 Nov 2018.
- Simpson, J. (2016). The anatomy of theory. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- Soulé, M. F. (1985). What is conservation biology? Bioscience, 35(11), The Biological Diversity Crisis, 727–734.
- Talbot, L. M. (1980). The World’s Conservation Strategy. Environmental Conservation, 7(4), 259–268. . Accessed 20 Nov 2018.
- UN (United Nations). (2015). Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 25 September 2015. A/RES/70/1. . Accessed 19 Nov 2018.
- UNCED (United Nations Conference on Environment and Development). (1993). The final text of agreements negotiated by governments at united Nation’s conference on environment and development, in agenda 21: Programme of action for sustainable development: Rio declaration on environment and development; statement of forest principles. In Proceedings of the UNCED (United Nations conference on environment and development), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3–14 June 1992. New York: United Nations Department of Public Information.
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). (1995). Statutory framework of the world network of biosphere reserves. Paris: UNESCO, Division of Ecological Sciences. . Accessed 18 Nov 2018.
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). (2014). Learning about biodiversity – Multiple-perspective approaches; education for sustainable development in action. Learning and training tools, 6; UNESCO education sector. United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005–2014). . Accessed 29 Oct 2018.
- WCED (World Commission on Environment and Development) (1987). Report of the world commission on environment and development: our common future. UN documents gathering a body of global agreements. . Accessed 27 Oct 2018.
- Wilken, G. C. (1977). Integrating forest and small-scale farm systems in middle America. Agro-Ecosystems, 3, 291–302.
- Zhou, X.-H., Wan, X.-T., Jin, Y.-H., & Zhang, W. (2016). Concept of scientific wildlife conservation and its dissemination. Zoological Research, 37(5), 270–274.